Friday, March 14, 2014


Tortilla

Original recipe from Gnowfglins

 

3 cups of organic whole wheat flour (I used soft white wheat-aka-pastry flour), freshly ground is best!

¾ cup water

¾ cup sourdough starter

¼ cup olive oil

Pinch of salt

 

Step One:  Combine the water, flour, salt, and sourdough starter in your mixer or food processor.  Keep adding flour, slowly, until the dough forms a nice ball without sticking too much to the sides of the mixer.  Once you get the dough to a soft ball form, allow the mixer to knead the dough for 2-3 minutes (if you don’t have a mixer, just do this by hand!).  Transfer the dough to a well-oiled bowl, cover, and let this hang out on your counter for 12-24 hours.

 

Step Two:  When you’re ready to cook up your tortillas, heat up a griddle, cast iron skillet, or cooking pan of choice to medium-high heat.  I don’t bother with greasing or spraying my griddle.  I like to use my large griddle so that I can have multiple tortillas going at the same time-it helps to speed up the process.

 

Step Three:  Remove the dough from the bowl and transfer onto a greased surface.  Gently divide the dough into walnut sized balls (this recipe will yield a dozen or so, depending on size).

 

Step Four:  Grease your hands with a little olive oil and working with one ball of dough at a time, use your fingers to smooth the dough out into a tortilla.  I suppose you could use a greased rolling pin, but I find that using my fingers alone works fine.  Sure, the shape isn’t a perfect circle-but that’s okay!  It’s homemade, remember?

 

Step Five:  After rolling out the tortilla, gently and carefully move it to the hot skillet.  Cook it for about 30 seconds per side, until a little golden and bubbly.

 

Step Six:  You can either eat these immediately, or cool them off and store them in the fridge or freezer for later use.  I have found that they reheat very easily and even stay soft.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment